Sunday, January 6, 2008

The Same Old Fun Annual Ritual

We are at Geoff’s parents’, sitting by the Christmas tree, opening our gifts. I feel like a child again, happy at mama-bozorg’s*, unwrapping my Nowruz presents.

The feeling was so live that would have easily made me cry, had I not restrained myself! Why don’t we do that annual ritual as seriously as we used to when we were kids – we still love each other, don’t we...and we haven’t changed much, have we?!

And today, sitting in this old and strange, yet very familiar, house that belongs to my new/future family (I can’t deny, it feels strange to say it…is this my family?!), I feel the fluidity of life and love…the extension of their meaning!

Geoff’s dad, being the very sweet himself, asked me many times, if we did this or that in Iran, too! No, I couldn’t tell him we also drank Eggnog, not quite, but we did all “this and that”! Almost 30 years after the Nowruz when Jaleh, Zivar, Houman and I unwrapped presents, I am watching Holley and Willie unwrapping theirs and excited for sleeping over at “mama-bozorg’s” just like we did, decades and oceans away!


Written on 12/27/2007 in Racine, WI


* Mama-bozorg means grandma in Farsi (Persian).

****

Geoff made the paper Santa ornament in the picture above when he was 8 years old! Isn't that cute?! I am so glad his mom kept it! Below, there are some pictures of those days.

And the last one is a picture of "those" days, too - in Tehran not Racine!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Halleh; great job on the blog. The best part of Racine is at Geoff’s parent’s house - George & Grace are great people (probably why Geoff ended up so well). Can’t wait to meet you in April.

Jeff

Btw - I like that picture slot machine up there.