Thursday, March 20, 2008

It is Nowruz!

Today is the first day of spring; it is Nowruz (which means New Day in Farsi)! The vernal equinox took place at 1:48 AM, DC time, and that was exactly when the new Iranian year, 1387, began! As it is said, "May everyday be a New Day (Nowruz) to you"!

I didn’t stay awake for the vernal equinox unlike what I used to do religiously even as a kid. I didn’t cry unlike what I did the first 2 years of my immigration to the States when anything and everything would make me feel nostalgic, let alone the Nowruz! But I did color some eggs, had the fish and rice dish (Sabzi-polo Mahi) at my uncle's last night, paid a pleasant Nowruz visit to Houman today, and smiled when I saw the spring blossoms and smelled Nowruz in the air...


And in case you are wondering what a Nowruz Haft Sin spread looks like, here is a picture from last year:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter!

Grace, George, Art, Karen, Priscilla and Peter.

Looking forward to the wedding.

See you soon